Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Funny

So in light of my recent many posts about little Mr. Tantrum, I thought I would post one of the best solutions that I have heard for parenting a cranky child....

this was an email from my aunt.....

Tough Love vs. Spanking - Good Argument. Most people think it improper to spank children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have one of 'those moments.' One that I found effective is for me to just take the child for a car ride and talk. Some say it's the vibration from the car, others say it's the time away from any distractions such as TV, Video Games, Computer, IPod, etc. Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our car ride together. Eye to eye contact helps a lot too. I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique....


.

..

...

....

.....

.....

......

.......

........

.........

..........

...........

............





Here is more pictorial evidence about the anatomy of a tantrum-

Cannon before breakfast-


Cannon after throwing eggs on the ground, bib of the floor, and sippy cup was broken against the wall.....


The finished result- he wasn't the only one pulling out his hair!

9 comments:

Lori said...

He is so cute. I hear ya though, I don't know what to tell you other than good luck! Wait until he is 3! WOW, I am struggling. I love him so much but he never stops talking, and I have a headache EVERYDAY! That was really funny though of the kid on the hood.

I have some really good guy friends that went to Bingham. Actually, I think my brother n law did too. Go Bingham! Good for you. That would be so fun.

Lauren Perry said...

Wow our kid sure does have your temper. But if I can say so myself, your aunt's idea is quite nice and I believe that we should try that with Cannon.

Kacey said...

K Lauren...that made me laugh.
Your aunt is Brilliant! I could've used that technique with Malia a few times. Oh wait, I still can!

Jana Porter said...

oh lauren you have a special child dont you! haha ok ok no babies for me for a while :) and yes please lets play!!!!!

The Larsen's said...

Oh girly, I'm there with you. Cohen is starting to hit the tantrum stage, and I was talking to my dad the other day and happened to say "I think Cohen is entering the "terrible 2's". And do you know what he told me?? He said, "There are no such things as "Terrible 2's". Thats an excuse people use when they can't control their child. I TOTALLY WANTED TO SMACK HIM. What does he know about parenting...he was at work all day. Oh the joys of motherhood! But I think with each child, the discipline technique is different. As a child, you give me the guilt trip and that did it for me, but for my little brother, he needed time out, and my other brother needed privileges taken away. Gotta find what works best on Cannon.

Anonymous said...

Cannon is too cute! Hang in there, I think 18 months is the hardest age. My mom always told me (she has 10 kids) that the terrible two's is really the second year. Things get easier when they turn two, because they're over their love affair with mobility and they can verbalize what they want, a little more. Good luck! He such a little heart breaker! Too cute.

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for that! And I love the documentation of the tantrum... would he recognize you if you didn't have a camera up to your face!
And congrats on Brian's new job. It looks pretty cool.

Katie C Kirkham said...

I like the new blog. What a cute little bugger Cannon is! hahaha.

Diane said...

Which aunt gave you this advice it is too funny. I know you don't believe your dad or I, but you never threw a tantrum when you were little. You just would go off and pout every now and then.