Friday, January 9, 2009

Where to start....


The past 2 weeks I have not had a full nights rest. It all started when I had the stomach flu right before Christmas. Then it turned into Cannon getting a cold, Cannon getting croup, and the croup turning back into a cough. He is in high-spirits despite this cough that keeps him up all night, that lasts for 30 minutes at a time. The other night (well, it was 3 am- so technically not night) I had to hold him upright and carry him around the house with a soft little bounce, while shushing him. I haven't had to do that since he was only a few months old. He would let me sit down either, I had to literally walk the whole house with all of the lights off. For those of you who will suggest little home remedies, take note that Ive already done it all :) We have done the steam shower/ cold air breathing treatments. We have done the Vicky baby rub on the bottoms of his feet with socks. We have a Johnson's vapor bath and I cover him in croup ointment afterwards. We have tried and failed with warm honey lemon water in a bottle. I have even done a teaspoon of honey (which he fought me tooth and nail on). I suck the gunk out of his nose and add saline spray. He sleeps on his tummy with a humidifier. Nothing will get rid of this cough that has lasted 2+ weeks. We've been to the Dr's twice (once for the croup and the 2nd time was because of this cough). The croup time they gave him the oral steroid Decadron. Cannon has had croup before and had Decadron before- each time, it has helped a ton. This time however, they gave him a higher dosage because of his weight. He had a horrible 4 day reaction complete with rash, insomnia and MAJOR irritability. We almost took him to the E.R because he wasn't sleeping and he had this scary panicked cry that lasted from 8 am to almost noon, non-stop. Finally we took him on a drive and he fell asleep.
As of now, he just has this horrible cough (not croupy- more mucus). The Dr said he doesn't have a virus or infection. His nose is runny, but it is very clear. His throat surprisingly looks good and so does his ears, so she thinks he is just choking on his mucus. She ruled out RSV, Pneumonia, Bronchitis, and Sinus Infection. I just have to watch his cough and runny nose for another week- then I might have to bring him in and get him on antibiotics. So until then, I am just very tired and I feel so bad for my poor little guy.
Here are some updated pics of my little guy (who is sporting a new hair cut):(showing his muscles)

10 comments:

Savanna said...

I feel so bad that he's been so sick. Poor little guy, and most of all poor Mom. It's hard on Mom's to have sick kids! I hope he starts feeling better soon. His new haircut is way cute!

Diane said...

His haircut is darling. Maybe the cold air in Utah does not agree with him (j.k.) yesterday it was 82 in California today it is a freezing 68. It really feels colder in California then it did in Utah last week. Anyway I know how bad his cough was last week and I hope he feels better soon.

Boydston Family said...

Hang in there MOM!!! It's always hardest on us. It sounds like you have tried everything, coming from a chiropractors wife I would get him adjusted it always works for my kids.

ps cade has that same cute shirt!!

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Nothing is worse than having a sick kid. I'm not looking forward to that... we have only run into two minor colds so far. Hang in there, he will get better!

barbaraence said...

You poor thing!! You've dealt with croup way too many times, it seems! I hope he gets better soon :)

Ben and Jenn said...

I am SO sorry that Cannon has been sooo sick! Poor little guy! I sure hope that he feels better soon & that you get some rest soon too!

Mandy said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Cannon...mostly poor mommy though! They are a lot tougher than all of us and probably dont think it is near as bad as we do! There is simply nothing worse than having a less than thrilled little toddler! I wish I had any good ideas at all, mosly just hang in there and soon it will just be a bad memory!

Jess Perry said...

I am happy to hear he is doing better. He really is a cute little kid!

Jana Porter said...

once again i love your blog its so cute! you'll have to hook me up with an awesome one!

byronandniki said...

Poor thing! You need a rest! Hopefully you are sleeping a little better now?