Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fun Fun!


So this past weekend we were able to tend my 4 year old niece Malia, my 17 month old nephew Dallin, and my 12 year old sister in law Lindsay (who was a HUGE help)- while almost everyone else headed down to Las Vegas to go see a concert with Josh Groban and a bunch of other big names. It was actually really nice to watch the kids (I would have loved to go to Vegas, but I was happy that I could help the family get some R & R). I was nervous at first, but the kids were really good! I thought that I would not want to have any more babies after this past weekend, but I found that I was actually able to manage quite well. Sure my day revolved around diaper changes, mixed nap times, snacks, dish duty, bathing, feeding meals, going on walks to the park, and numerous time watching a princess movie and Shrek- but it was nice to stay busy. My own child keeps me super busy as is, but it was fun to watch him play and interact with his cousins.

I learned a lot of new things while tending- that will help me when I have more kids in the future.

1. Never say "cool dude" to a 4 year old girl- she will get very mad at you for insinuating that she is a boy

2. When all else fails, little lolly pops are good tools for bribes

3. Never go alone to the park with 2 toddler boys that are soooo close in age. It is really hard to chase 2 kids running in different directions

4. A toy isn't really any fun until someone else starts playing with it. Then it becomes a must have wrestling match.
5. Figure out snacks and meals ahead of time. I swear I had to make like 5 different things per kid per meal.
and last but not least-
there is no such thing as resting or down time. It is a rare occurrence to have all kids napping at the same time, for the same length of time. Usually you can only afford a bathroom break and a quick snack before some commotion happens :)




Here are some fun pics to show the kiddo's in action. Dallin and Cannon are now best friends. Cannon was very jealous of me paying attention to other kids, but he got used to it after the first day. I think they will become the best of buddies as they get older.
(this picture cracks me up! Cannon climbed on there by himself and was STANDING on it! He also started shaking it and yelling like a monster. Now you guys can see why I have my hands full all day-lol )

12 comments:

Crystal said...

wow sounds like a fun weekend. Now you know how I feel with the two boys. That is my life every day. I am going to die when Cash can really walk around. Cannon looks so happy to have another friend maybe you should have another kid!....

Kacey said...

Thank You Thank You Thank You! You are the best Lauren! I know it was NOT easy to have that many. My kids had a great time at your house...btw your toys are much cooler than ours. I'm sure Dallin thought it was so great to play with another boy and Malia said she had a good time! Please make sure you let us repay you by keeping Cannon for a few days.

Kimberly said...

Oh geez! is that what I have to look forward to with Anthony? (picture of him standing on his toy) I'm so scared! LOL

Jewels said...

Cute pic with him in the tub! Lets get together soon!!

A said...

How fun. I bet you were CRAZY! Ellie has that little pool but I have never blown it up because I don't have a pump... cute! I think she has outgrown it though so I may just keep it for another child...

Jim Monaghan said...

Lauren -

Anytime we get stressed out by our three and their escapades, we watch an episode of Jon & Kate Plus Eight on TLC.

I would positively lose my mind under those circumstances.

Oh, and there's a Courtney softball update here.

barbaraence said...

You are a brave woman!!
That last picture is AWESOMMMMME!

Jess Perry said...

You are so awesome and did such a great job with all those kids. Now you know you can handle 12 kids!!

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Time to have another one! I'm not kidding, you really should... Cannon is too cute to only have one for now.

Mike and Stacie said...

Cute pictures. I love the one of Cannon and DAllin in the tub. It is hillarious! It looks like you had a blast with those three cuties.

Angie said...

All I can say is...Welcome to my world (minus the princess movies of course)!!!! You are so awesome to do that for your family. I don't know if I would have had the guts to take them all on. You are a pretty good sport. :)

Lori said...

What a week! I know I love having the kids over. And it's weird...because all of a sudden your own become really easy because they are entertained with the other kids. I love it! You are a trooper doing that many kids, seriously, never the less two almost the same age.