Saturday, February 2, 2008

My Poor Little Guy

I just needed to do a quick post about our eventful night last night. We went to dinner with some friends, we got home and did the usual routine with Cannon, and he was asleep by 8pm. I noticed that he had a slight cough, so I didn't think much of it (he is seriously ALWAYS sick or congested from teething). He was doing pretty good. Then I heard something horrible at 1:30 am. It sounded like he was barking and struggling for breath. Brian ran in and got him, while I went to get water. Brian said that you could feel him breathing in his back, and that he sounded really bad. He coughed again and I about died. He literally sounded like a barking dog, seal, and Gollum from Lord of the Rings. We took him to the ER, and just prayed that it wasn't RSV. He was so funny at the ER. He sounded horrible, but he just played for an hour and a half until they were able to see him. He was flirting with the nurses and laughing at the Dr. He was very good while they checked all of his vitals.

Turns out my little monkey has croup. I am so thankful for modern medicine, because croup used to be very deadly. Croup is a viral infection that effects the airway. It swells up and practically closes it off. They gave him an oral steriod and told us how to do at home breathing treatments. Cannon seems to always be around sick kids (between friends, the gym, church- you name it), so we are going to keep him under house arrest until he is all better. They said that we were right to bring him in. If you catch it while it is still new, he wouldnt have to stay for a few nights in the hospital doing breathing treatments.

We finally got home around 3:30, and Cannon went to bed at 4. I couldn't fall asleep until 4:30. We had given him a warm bottle, and I hoped that he would get some good rest (since he had been up since 1:30). Boy was I wrong. He woke up for the day at 6:45 am!!!!! What the heck is up with that! Oh well, I cant get mad. He still has another hour before the steroid kicks into full effect, so his breathing and coughing is still pretty bad.

I just thought I would update everyone on our eventful night. Don't be surprised if I become a hermit this week :(

15 comments:

Kimberly said...

at least you only have to do it for a week. I've been doing it since November!!! I should write a book on being a recluse LOL Oh well its totally worth it for our boys! Give Cannon a kiss for me!

Anonymous said...

I hope Cannon feels alot better today. We love him so much and he is always in our prayers. I also hope that you get some rest today after last night.
Love mom and dad

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I am so sorry. Poor little guy. Take care of yourself and your sweet Cannon. Call me if you get bored.

A said...

Im sorry Lauren. I hope tonight is a better one for you and cannon! Keep me posted!

Crystal said...

hey Lauren its the candy natzy HEHE. HEy i found your blog and thought i would let you know. Your boy is really cute and i really like his name.

Ben and Jenn said...

Poor Cannon! Glad that you guys took him in. My nephew had croup pretty bad. Definitely keep him in until he gets better. No reason to risk it when they are that little. Hope he feels better soon and that you guys get some rest as well!

Lori said...

Lauren, that is so sad. Good job getting on top of it, and I am so glad it wasn't RSV!!! Poor little guys keep us posted on how he is doing.

amy said...

That's no fun! I hope he is feeling better.

Jen said...

Poor little guy! I hope that he get feeling better SOON!

Jeanette said...

I hope that Cannon is doing better. We missed you guys yesterday at the Superbowl Party.

Katie C Kirkham said...

LAUREN! HOW DO YOU GET YOUR BLOG BACKGROUNDS??? TEACH ME. I AM CLUELESS! THanks

TC Jolley said...

He is so cute!!! I'm so sorry that he's sick... thank goodness it's not RSV, Jack got that when he was 3 months old, it was scary. Get well Cannon-arm (my nickname for him!)

Katie C Kirkham said...

PIMP MY BLOG!!

Mandy said...

I am so sorry! You said on the phone that he was sick, but I bet you had no idea what was really happening! I am just sorry that you had to deal with that. Sick babies are ZERO fun! I just love hearing what a good sport he was for all of it! Such a good boy!

Mandy said...

By the way, I just showed my niece your blog and now she has a crush on Cannon too! The wedding bells are already ringing! They will have the cutest kids ever! We are all hoping for Cannon's eyes!