Saturday, January 19, 2008

An Improvement

My little munchkin has been such a trooper this past week. Not only has he had his 10 millionth cold of the year, major movement with those teeth (another one broke through this week), his Hepatitis vaccine at his 9 month appointment, but he also had to "Cry It Out" per Dr's orders. We just couldn't handle waking up 5 times a night to move him to our bed or back to his crib, me getting kicked in the head, being scared if we were going to roll on him....all of the normal worries when your child is going through a sleeping problem phase.

Day one, he cried for 45 minutes and fell asleep sitting up (you saw the picture). He woke 2 other times and cried for maybe 5 minutes and was up for the day at 6:30.

Day two, he cried for 25 minutes and fell asleep sitting up again! Brian and I took the video camera in there and filmed him. He woke up 2 other times and cried for about 5 minutes as well. He was up for the day around 6:20.

Day three (he fell asleep sitting up again, so that's 3 nights in a row of him doing that), day four, and day five he didn't cry when I put him down to bed. He fell right asleep and woke once around 3-4 am, and just cried for a few seconds before he was back to sleep. Today he woke a little early though, around 5:30 am.

I think we might have a good little night-time routine down, and he is going to bed drowsy and hardly waking, and if he does wake, its only for a few seconds. I am not a fan of getting up before 7am. I am not sure what to do there. My book says that 6 am is a good wake up time for a baby going to bed between 7-8 pm. Ive noticed that when I put him to bed later, he actually wakes up earlier-so I cant really keep him up late for me to get beauty sleep in the mornings. I am just happy that he is in his crib and I don't even have to get out of bed in the middle of the night.

Hopefully, once he is feeling better and we get this tooth down, he will sleep a bit later. I might make a rule that says I wont get him out of bed before 6:30 am, and just pray that he eventually catches on to it. :) All and all, I am very happy about this cry it out experience. It was only 2 nights, and not very much crying. When we first had him cry it out when he was 4 months old, it only took us 1 night of him crying 15 minutes before he slept 8-7am for about 3 months. I've just been a walking zombie for the past 2 months while he developed bad sleeping habits. Hopefully this routine sticks and we can have a good sleeper on our hands!

PS- the pic above has nothing to do with sleeping : ) I just thought it was too funny! He was trying to feed himself and you can see how successful that was!

12 comments:

K and A Edgeworth said...

its too bad you don't have the cutest son in the world. what a dream!!!

Lauren Perry said...

thanks amanda :) I have to agree with you there, but it might just be my "mom goggles" lol. He is just perfect in my eyes ;)

Cynthia and Bryan said...

That is awesome that he caught on so quick. Hopefully you guys will start feeling rested now that you can sleep in your bed with out a baby in it. Thanks for going tonight, I had fun.

Kimberly said...

I want to see the new video!!!

TC Jolley said...

Yeah! Nothing beats a good night's sleep! I put an alarm clock in Brayden and Jack's room that is set for 7:00. If they wake up before that they have to play, they can't come out until 7... am I Hitler??!!

A said...

Props on finally having the guts to let him "cry it out". You will have so much more freedom now... isn't it about time! :) As far as getting him to sleep later... he will start to sleep later in the mornings when he drops nap number 2 and maybe even before that. Just keep doing what you are doing and he will become a sleep champ!

Lori said...

LAUREN, all I can say is I TOTALLY FEEL FOR YOU!!!!!! Your blog is ME! I am having the hardest time getting Carson to sleep thru the night. The kid has done it ONCE! It kills me to listen to him cry and I have stopped and started, stopped and started, and once again, started again. Any suggestions???????

barbaraence said...

I am glad to hear that things are going better with the "cry it out"! Yay!

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

The stuff he is eating looks really yummy... ... ... not!

Mandy said...

I am just jealous. Could I hire you and Brian to come over and train our little gal? I tried for like 12 minutes the other night. I simply suck at it. Our doc yelled at us too and I am just not a very good mommy. She will be sleeping with us till she is like 12!

Kate said...

Hard, but soooooo worth it! All I can say is enjoy it while they are STILL in their crib and have not learned to open doors --- then the real trouble starts, but....at the same time....they can reason and understand better by then! Why didn't someone tell us that parenting comes with all this "drama"? Holy crap! If it isn't one cute thing it's another and if it isn't another horror it's another!!!

Jess Perry said...

I am glad things are going better in the sleeping department. You will still go through stages of rough times. It seems that they never end. But crying it out definately does help because they learn to comfort themselves and pull it together.

And the whole feeding themselves thing...it is messy, but makes for great pictures!!