Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oscars Time!


(Lauren wants me to put a disclaimer that this post is not hers, it is mine Brian W Perry. The opinions and views expressed in the interviews and/or commentaries are solely of the individuals and are not the views of thatsaprettylaugh.blogspot.com, its parent, affiliate, or subsidiary companies. Or in more simple terms Lauren.)
Alright, since I am sooo overly busy at work and everybody and their dog is buying construction estimating and accounting software, I had some time to print off the Official Oscars Ballot. So with all of my limited time I decided to go ahead and let you know my predictions for who is winning what. I can't wait to watch the Oscars and see you will win what. (Actually I only care to see if Heath Ledger wins for his role in "The Dark Knight"). I also want to add that I am excited to see someone else host the Oscars other than Jon Stewart, he's done it like fifteen times I swear. You know what, in all reality, I don't care to see the Oscars this year because I don't think there were any movies that were truly amazing (except Heath's performance). But I am really bored and its lunch time so here I go!


Leading Actor should go to Brad Pitt for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". Now even though I have not seen this movie I still think that he deserves it. Runner up is Frank Langella for "Frost/Nixon". I haven't seen this movie either but I heard it was great.


Supporting Actor has to go to Heath Ledger for "The Dark Knight". If he doesn't get it, then I will have lost all faith in The Academy. His performance was so good that the movie should have been called "The Joker". Also, a little tid-bit of info, Heath got so into character that he felt that he was actually losing his grip on reality and that is why he was taking the pills that actually ended up killing him. If he wins, wait...what am I talking about...when he wins, I can't wait to see who will accept the award, his father, girlfriend, or daughter. (I'm pulling for his daughter). Runner up is Robert Downey Jr. just because he's all that and a bag of chips! I love that guy!


I could just end right here but there's a few more categories that I want to predict the winners. I won't make any predictions on documentaries, short films, or foreign, because nobody watches them and nobody cares including me.


Leading Actress should go to Anne Hathaway for "Rachel Getting Married". I haven't seen the movie again like most of these, but I know enough about them to make an educated prediction. She played a character that is out of the ordinary for her, so I think it should go to her. Runner up is Meryl Streep for "Doubt". I mean really, can you go against Meryl? No probably not.


Supporting Actress will go to Amy Adams for "Doubt". Again I haven't seen this one, but I like her. Runner up is Marisa Tomei for "The Wrestler" just because "The Wrestler" needs to win something.


Animated Feature is "WALL-E" just because Lauren and Cannon and I like it.


Cinematography is "Slumdog Millionaire" just because, I don't really know. Runner up is "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".


Directing will go to "Frost/Nixon" because you can't go up against Ron Howard and win, he's one of the best! Runner Up is "Slumdog Millionaire".


Makeup is "The Dark Knight" because Heath looked freaky as did Aaron Eckhart. Runner Up is "Hellboy II" just because that had to have taken forever to make them look like that.


Visual Effects "Iron Man" I mean come on its cool.


Screenplay will probably go to "Milk" because you have to let the gay movie win something, and if you're gay, I apologize but that's unfair for a movie to get an Oscar just because its about a gay guy. Runner Up is "WALL-E" again because I liked it.


Last but not least...Best Picture is "Frost/Nixon" because of the way it was filmed, the acting, directing, and history behind it. Runner Up will be "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".


So there you have it, my picks for the Oscars. I don't know how accurate I will be, but I usually am fairly accurate at this. So if you have found this post interesting in any amount, please let me know because I like to think of myself as quite the movie critic and have been thinking about starting a blog about movies. I have just been throwing the idea around and if I get a big enough response I will start one. Now I must do a disclaimer in that I think that most movie Critics suck at what they do, and don't say what people want to read about, so I will take a different direction and only talk about the stuff in the movies that the general public want to hear about. Please let me know because this would give me an excuse to see more movies, which I would love to do.


And don't forget to watch the Oscars this Sunday the 22nd!


(By the way, Brian did this post, not Lauren)

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Brian......We have always told you that you need to be a movie critic. But I do have to say that if the critics say a movie is bad I usually think that it is good. I think that it would be great for you to start a movie blog. Also I was shocked that you haven't seen more of those movies!!!

Kacey said...

I'll be watching to see how accurate you were. My prediction is Slumdog Millionaire will get best director and best movie. Of course I haven't seen it so I really have no idea. I hope Mr Pitt wins for best leading actor. If he doesn't then I just hope Sean Penn doesn't win for Milk cuz he seriously bugs the snot out of me and is so overrated as an actor. I think leading actress will go to Kate Winslet and even though I like her I think the movies she did this year look really trashy. Totally agree with you on Heath Ledger but think best animation should go to Kung Fu Panda...c'mon, it was SOoo funny. And that's all I can think of right now.

I also think you should totally start your own movie review blog and then get hired to replace Jeff Vice. Not a fan of his reviews...he's such a pessimist. I say go for it!

Lauren Perry said...

Thanks for the input Jeanette and Kacey. But I need more people to read my blogs so that it will be worth it. I don't mind writing to myself, but if I'm going to do that I don't need to start a blog. I will most likely not make my blog private so that anyone can read it. I don't know who this Jeff Vice, but I think that almost all Critics suck so as I said, I will only talk about the stuff that people want to hear about...and the reviews, will be accurate and not full of crap. If a movie is good, I will let you know, if it sucks I will tell you it sucks.
Brian

Bear Lake Cabin said...

FYI-Slumdog millionaire is one of the best movies I've seen this year. Kim @ I saw it in Hawaii...It's a must see, feel good movie...
Pat